Draft Horse Village Forum Index Draft Horse Village
A place to share all things draft horse realated

FAQFAQ     GalleryGallery   SearchSearch     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need to get a shoe on this??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Draft Horse Village Forum Index -> Horse Health
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RebeccaJ
DHV Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Do I need to get a shoe on this?? Reply with quote

OK, For those who don't know. My gelding has the world's most horrible feet! He started throwing his front shoes(which he has to have on or else his feet wear down quickly.)and I pulled the fronts. That was 3 1/2 weeks ago. This past week he started to chip his front feet and today I noticed this crack. It is
all the way through the hoof on the bottom part. Do I need to get a shoe on this immediately or can I rasp/nip the crack out. My farrier is currently gone for 2 weeks although I can find a back-up farrier to come out and shoe if I need him to. Here are some pictures of the crack:

img]http://www.drafthorsevillage.com/phpBB2/gallery/images/forumhoof3.jpg[/img]

Thanks for your help!
RebeccaJ
DHV Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last picture didn't copy right!

jenni_grey
DHV Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't need a shoe, he needs a trim! His feet don't look bad to me, except that his heels look underrun. By my standards, his feet look quite long and he has a lot of flare. Some hooves can handle being long, some can't. Are you *sure* he needs shoes? What are the consequences of his hooves wearing down. Does he get sore?
Sack
DHV Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks a bit tall for a draft to me. Show us the bottoms. Is his heels contracted, and frog narrowed from being this long / tall.?
I'm no farrier by "NO MEANS" that's HLFs department.
My 4 have a closer ground contact than what I'm seeing with yours.
My 4 are due to be trimmed this Sunday; I will take before & after pictures so you can see what mine look like, and what I'm referring to about ground contact.
HLF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feet do look a little tall....but that could just be angles of the photo and such. What are all the scrape marks????? The crack doesn't seem bad from the pictures...but will only get worse as time goes by.

If he's not holding shoes....I generally wonder about the trim he's getting before the shoes go on. A shoe job is only as good as the trim. A perfect shoe on a poor trim is gonna come off too soon.

As far as underrun heels, without seeing the bottom, can't tell. If he's not doing anything but mowing the lawn, he can probably wait for the farrier to get back.

If you have a rasp, I'd go ahead and rasp those toes back a little. The longer the toe, the more force is put as the foot breaks over.

Steve
clipclopclip
DHV Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me as if the quarters are simply blowing out as the hoof wall gets too long. Unless he's sore, his feet don't need shoes, they simply need a good trim. The quarters are meant to blow out as the hoof's natural defense against pressure from the hoof wall being too long. Other than that, your horse looks like its got great feet.

"Once you go draft, you don't go back!"
RebeccaJ
DHV Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much guys!! I took your advice and trimmed Ben myself. I do know what I need to do for farrier work as I am apprenticing with my farrier. I just didn't have the guts to trim him by myself but I prayed over it, rolled up my sleeves, and went to work. I got the crack trimmed out of the hoof completely and the chipping on the quarters smoothed out nicely. Thanks for your help!!!!
Sack
DHV Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got things worked out.
Of course( with my luck) the batteries in the camera were D-E-A-D !! crud ! Evil or Very Mad Wish you could have seen the difference a good trim made on my babies.
horsemix12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad you got it worked out.

I have my farrier put a good roll on my Drafts quarters. That prevents that breaking out like that when they get too long.

I also use boots, instead of shoes if I have any soreness issues.
Shoes can make the walls weaker over time.
Boots are a good temporary interim if you need protection.
Im not saying never shoe, but just in general for cases like this.

I also have my Drafts on Omega Horseshine. Love the product.
Great for the hooves and overall health.

Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Draft Horse Village Forum Index -> Horse Health All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: